Thursday, December 1, 2011

Shine, Shine, My Star

Too often good music can't find its way to the listener, but luckily this isn't always never-ending. Such is the case with Shine, Shine, My Star, a beautiful Russian romance – for the first part of the twentieth century no one but Soviet censorship committee was aware that this piece exists at all! Even though it was composed in 1847, and bears little to no connection to a 1915 – a year the grammophone recording was made, – political situation, this romance was under a ban until 1944.

Now, when everyone can easily find a sheet music of Shine, Shine, My Star, I can't help but celebrate it – it is truly one of the finest Russian folk songs. Download sheet music here: Shine, Shine, My Star, or, if in doubt, watch a video below first – a slide show of illustrations by Isaak Levitan make listening especially rewarding:

No comments:

Post a Comment