Friday, July 1, 2011

Fugue on the Hymn of the Virgin

Live and learn, for real: just yesterday I wrote that I don’t know much about organ music – and today I stumble on article about French organ school – a centuries-old tradition with own rules and own form, established by composers who were in constant search of new possibilities of self-expression by the means of music.

If we would take Baroque or Romantic styles, they are much like huge music continents, and schools – be it New German or French Organ school, – are like islands: they’re smaller in size but exploring them isn’t any less fun. Talking about New German school, names of Liszt and Wagner are familiar to everybody, but not many know about it as a separate movement in art music.

The same thing happened to me: I heard some pieces of Jean-François Dandrieu, the only thing is I didn’t know he was a part of certain - French Organ, in our case - tradition. There is a lot of French organists I’m not familiar with still, but I can vouch for works of Dandrieu. Exceptionally good is his Fugue on Hymn to the Virgin; you may download it here: Pieces for Organ. Book I. Fugue on Hymn to the Virgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment