Friday, July 29, 2011

Flower Songs by Gustav Lange

Even though I’m not in any way affiliated with The Guinness Book of World Records (nor did I hold it in my hands in the last couple of years), I’m well familiar with a few of its record-breakers, just because of my avid interest towards classical music. Say, Georg Philipp Telemann – with about 3,000 original works he is the most prolific composer ever lived. However, if we were to judge by extant works, Telemann would appear less of a person who hadn’t been sleeping and eating for a whole composer’s career (really, how do you produce oeuvre as tremendous to the nth degree as it is otherwise?) – about 800 of his pieces survived. Thus it is easier for other composers, such as Gustav Lange (with a number of 500), to breath down his neck. The latter was also born in Germany – probably the very air of this country boosts up creativity. Here is one of his finest pieces: Flower Song, Op.39. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment