Friday, October 14, 2011

Sonata No.3 'Norse' by Edward MacDowell

Personally, when I think about American composers to mind come those associated with minimalism and early electronic music. Talking about the latter, most synthesizers – its typical instruments, – originate from the United States and sometimes even were developed in association with composers (e.g., the ideas of Morton Subotnick were always attentively taken into account by Don Buchla, a creator of complex and organically sounding modular systems).

However, this is what comes to mind first and it doesn’t mean I’m not aware about American classical music – otherwise, hearing good Romantic pieces from the US always fascinates me. Very notable in this sense is Sonata No.3 by Edward MacDowell – a piece I would remorselessly rank among the best in the genre. Unfortunately, his works are not especially well-known nowadays, and with this post I want to remedy the situation. Here is MacDowell's Sonata No.3 'Norse', Op.57 – I hope it will instigate you to explore more of his oeuvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment