Sunday, February 1, 2015

8-Bit Classical Music

As a fan of ‘quality’ music, I rather consider myself a conservative type when it comes to great music masterpieces. What I mean is that if I am to listen to a work by Mozart, Bach, Schubert and other outstanding music minds, I prefer to pick a nice recording by orchestras like New York Philharmonic and such, or, ideally, go to a live performance of my favorite compositions (whenever I get a chance to!).

However, recently I’ve become more open to other creative interpretations of my favourite music pieces and I’m surprised to find myself enjoying some of them to a certain extent. I know it’s not a very new thing (sorry, I wasn’t quite following) but it looks like 8-bit music has become quite popular. I ran into it by chance and I guess I’m glad I did.

If someone gave me a contemporary piece in 8 bit to listen to, I wouldn’t be surprised, but hey – what I find first is nothing else but Antonín Dvořák's 9th Symphony! Wut? I was all skeptical at the beginning but the funny thing is that for some reason I didn’t click ‘stop’ or close the window.  I kept listening. Be it out of curiosity or enjoyment, hard to say. But I can say now that that 8-bit mode did not spoil it for me, on the contrary, I found it interesting that way. As I found out later, a lot of classical compositions exist in 8-bit and they do cause people interest. I still am an ardent lover of all the traditional in classical music but now I can add that there also are music experiments worth holding!

No comments:

Post a Comment